Galahad’s fly mask has pretty much had it now. It has gradually been getting more holes but now one of them is big enough for his ear to stick through.
Given that I only got it because he has trouble with flies in his ears it seems a bit redundant now. It has also worn a (very small) bald patch on his ear which is obviously not good at all. I would mend it but hopefully (touch wood) the flies seem almost gone for now. I’ll mend it if his ears get bad again, otherwise I’ll just get him a new one next year.
Strangely the more damaged it got the less often he managed to escape it. Perhaps the holes gave it extra ventilation so he didn’t want it off so much. I am now more likely to find my sister’s pony hatless. His mask has lasted twice as long so far and the only problem with it now is that the velcro itself is wearing out. He doesn’t have the same desire to get rid of it though. I have found him in the field with the velcro completely undone but the mask still on his head!
I just gave both ponies what I hope was their last dose of deosect for the season. Galahad is not at all keen on being sprayed and most years up to now I have been spraying him every day with normal fly spray. For several years I had to use a sponge to get it on. Deosect shouldn’t be used nearly so often so he must prefer it. It has also so far prevented him getting the nasty persistent bite he usually gets every summer so I am happy too. It is pretty good stuff!